Tis the season …. to freak out because you haven’t even started all that holiday sewing you planned! Patterns for quick-sew, one-size gifts are at the top of my stack this time of year. But who wants a Kleenex cover? What do you make for someone you don’t know that well and keep it on trend? Or even for people you do know well? Here are some ideas and links to ideal fabrics for each.
- Infinity Scarves. These are quick projects with no pattern to print, just cut and sew. With the versatility to make them from knit or woven, elegant in printed silk or lawn, or cozy in soft double-brushed poly (like this gorgeous stripe pictured below!), you can customize your scarves to the wearer.
3. Boot cuffs. Sew a tube of sweater knit and slap on a cute button or lace trim, you’ve got fashionable boot socks in a jiffy. This unique wool blend sweater knit backed with fleece is sold out but Cali has all kinds of beautiful knits that would make gorgeous boot cuffs.
5. Aprons. They’re not just for grandma! I made this grilling apron from rugged black bull denim and the trendy, modern apron from Joel Dewberry designer twill (the Cali listing doesn’t say Joel Dewberry but the selvedge does). This is the Tie Dye Diva Man Apron pattern, but patterns abound and free tutorials are available too.
6. Fashion Pillows/Pillow Covers. Thrill the tweens and dorm-dwellers on your list with a trendy “mermaid”pillow cover from two-tone sequin fabric or a faux fur pillow just like they are seeing in all the stores.
8. Easy-fit sweaters. Clothing doesn’t have to be off the list. Easy-fitting styles like a tie-front or wrap cardi make a great gift. These are the cropped views of the Copeland Cardi pattern that comes in sizes XS-3XL.
The sparkling silver and black sweater knit above is sold out, but all kinds of stretch fabrics will work. Gina at Penny Sew Vintage made this gorgeous cropped ballet wrap with this stretch sweater knit.
10. Headbands. Use your scraps from the above projects to make knit or woven headbands in a fun or pretty print.
So there – 10 reasons why shopping on Cali is not selfish! I hope you’re inspired to get moving on your holiday gift sewing. Did I miss your favorite gift idea to sew? Tell me in the comments!